Report for Saturday, August 13, 2005

ST. CHARLES COUNTY

I birded the Weldon Spring access to the Katy Trail S. P. Saturday
morning and enjoyed the cooperative and quite vocal PAINTED BUNTING.  At
one perch, and in less than 30 seconds, the bunting was displaced by a
NORTHERN CARDINAL, then a ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.

Near the boat ramp was a BLUE GROSBEAK, singing softly and
intermittently, with a pair of RED-HEADED WOODPECKERs nearby.  On the
Missouri River was a SPOTTED SANDPIPER.  As the sky heated up 3
BROAD-WINGED HAWKs went soaring, and engaged a RED-TAILED HAWK.  4
female ORCHARD ORIOLEs congregated on one utility pole, and a
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD was feeding.

LINCOLN COUNTY

Heading north I visited the sod farm area, one mile east of Brevator,
Missouri, and saw 1 UPLAND SANDPIPER, 8 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERs, 1
AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER with a broken wing, a convention of KILLDEER,
plus a family of 4 EASTERN KINGBIRDs on a wire.

In the slough at Lock & Dam 25 (Mississippi River) there was a nice
variety of shorebirds, but few in number.  After waiting out the
visually impressive late-afternoon thunderstorm, I saw the RED-NECKED
PHALAROPE and BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, thanks to help from Schuette and Eades.

On the drive out of the area a GREAT-HORNED OWL, looking enormous,
perched in plain sight on a lonesome, leafless tree.

For the day I saw all 6 swallow species, and Yellow-billed Cuckoos
seemed to be vocal and active.

PHOTOS

I've posted pictures of the grosbeak, plus EASTERN KINGBIRD, AMERICAN
KESTREL and YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO here:

http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=148&page=1&sort=dd

In addition, I've posted never before seen photos of the elusive,
Amazing! Headless! Painted Bunting, seen at Weldon Spring Saturday, plus
photos of an intact Painted Bunting, here:

http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=215&page=1&sort=dd

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO