Jim and Ellen Zellmer and I found what we believe was an immature Cave Swallow on a North/South gravel road between Montrose Lake and the town of Montrose, Henry County, at about 10:30-11:00 a.m. this morning. The bird was with Rough-winged Swallows perched on the metal post of a barbed wire fence. The gravel road is approximately 1 1/2 miles west of the North/South road which crosses the west end of Montrose Lake via a bridge. Traveling south  from the bridge, we took the first right through an old strip mine area and then took our second left. The gravel road on which we saw the bird is about 2 1/2 miles long. It goes through grassland and ends at an East/West blacktop road on which we traveled east into the town of Montrose. The bird was on the left side of the grassland road about half way along it.

We discovered the Cave Swallow more or less by accident. We had already seen all of the usual Missouri swallows except Bank Swallow this morning, and I was looking for a Bank among a line of Rough-wings perched on the wire. The Cave Swallow was not on the wire with the Rough-wings, but rather on an iron post nearby, so there was no close comparison. It was generally a brownish bird, and I had blown it off as a Rough-wing. Jim noticed a small bit of light area on the forehead and thought he saw a hint of a pale rump and said he thought he had an immature Cliff Swallow. I then looked at the bird more closely and realized that it could not be a Cliff Swallow because it had a completely pale ear, face and throat. After I mentioned the possibility of Cave Swallow, we all continued to look at the bird and agreed that the ear, face and throat were without any of dark on them. The bird then flew, revealing the full extent of its pale rump. It did not return, and we did not relocate it.

We will be sending reports to the MBRC.

Also of interest were the following:

1 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER on the mudflat west of the bridge over Montrose Lake.
3-4 Solitary Sandpipers during the day, including 1 at Montrose.
7-8 Least and 2-3 Semipalmated Sandpipers on the Montrose Lake mudflat
8-9 Spotted Sandpipers during the day.
500 GREAT EGRETS ( plus a few Little Blues and Snowys) at Schell Osage
1 Imm. Y-C Night Heron at Schell Osage
2 adult Caspian Terns at Schell.
8 Mississippi Kites along the Horton Road
Dozens of Great Egrets, plus a few Little Blues, a couple of Snowys and 1 Cattle Egret at 4-Rivers.
2 Dowitcher sp.? and 1 Gr. Yellowlegs at the DU Unit of 4-Rivers.
18 Eurasian Collared Doves in Rich Hill.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri