ZOOTIE
 From Pete Janzen of Wichita:

Edge

Noticed that zootie has come up on the Mo. listserv.  Current usage of
this term in the Great Plains birding community can be traced back to
Joe Grzybowski, who is NAB editor for the Southern Great Plains, who
uses the term at least once in every report.   The listserv discussion a
few years back was pretty wide ranging, with quotes from Quadrophenia
(The Who album) and a discussion of the origins of the "zoot suit"  in
Los Angeles decades ago.  Seems like some folkls decided that a person
who wore zoot suits was referred to as a "zootie" in East L.A slang back
in the thirties but that might be complete BS for all I know.  I don't
know if we really uncovered the philology of the word but it was an
interesting conversation anyway.  Anyway it is NOT a Kansas word and I'm
pointing the finger south at the Sooner State as the point of origin in
birding circles.  It's kind of a fun word though, I like using it.

 From Edge:
I saw the word "zootie" in a textbook in South Africa, but there it was
a biological term with no apparent connection to our use of the word.

FLUDDLE

The first I heard/saw use the word was Charlene Malone reporting on
shorebirds found in temporary pools/puddles after hard rains.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO