After watching March of the Penguins (awesome movie!) in  Columbia, Maxine
Walker and I went to Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area in Boone  County.  Lots of
Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Pectoral Sandpiper,  Killdeer, Red-winged
Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, European Starlings,  American Crow, 2 Green
Heron, and 1 Red-headed Woodpecker.    Also, 1 Carolina Wren and several Indigo
Buntings singing.
After going around the second, newer one-way loop, we started  to head out of
the area.  In the Distribution Channel, just southeast of  the levee with the
gate barring unauthorized vehicles, on the gray metal  railings, stood 3
Little Blue Heron.  They were all white with  greenish-yellow legs and a two-toned
bill.  All three had gray facial skin  at the base of the bill - none of them
had the bright yellow of a Snowy  Egret.  Fortunately for us, they sat very
patiently while we set up a  spotting scope and consulted four different field
guides in order to make that  determination!  They were still there when we
left.
Just before getting back to Jefferson City, we stopped at the  sod farm along
Highway 63 in Callaway County.  Lots of European Starlings,  Common Grackle,
Killdeer, Red-winged Blackbird, American Crow and Mourning Dove  but no
Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

Good Birding!
Barb Duncan
Jefferson City, MO