MoBirders
I went up the 79 corridor this morning with the following results:

Winfield Lock and Dam:  Including the area a mile or so up Sandy Slough Road, I found about 3 or 4 hundred shorebirds.  They were divided about 60/40 peeps to killdeer sized birds; among the peeps least outnumbered the semipalmateds, and I found 4 bairds among them.  The killdeer outnumbered pectorals and I counted about 24 solitary sandpipers, 15 or so spotted, 2 yellowlegs (species), 4 stilt sandpipers among the mix.  Several semipalmated plovers rounded out the mix.

BK Leach has no viewable shorebird habitat.  The drought has dried most of the pools and the vegetation has grown up to obscure anything that may be there.  They are drilling a well today; I guess to flood the pools for duck hunting.

It rained most of the time I was there this morning.  The birds were steadily moving downstream at Winfield, pausing to feed, then move on.

David Rogles
St. Charles County

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com