This morning I located several singing Henslow's Sparrows in the field
at the start of the Flat Banks Road (singing on both sides of the road)
at Mingo.  This species does not appear on the Mingo NWR bird list.

I checked with the assistant manager of the refuge, Rick Speer, and
he verified that this is a new species for the refuge.  He explained that
prior to 5 yrs. ago the field where I found these birds had been mowed
on a regular basis.  Since then it has not been mowed and several
species of native grasses have been added to the plant life of this
area.   Apparently, the field now meets the requirements of the Henslow's
Sparrow.  They were easy to spot this morning from Flat Banks Road
(about 200 ft. or so in from the paved road) as they sang from
conspicuous perches in the field.

I did send Rick Speer a few photos of one of the birds for documentation.

There were also quite a few Sedge Wrens in this field.

I checked out the heronry in Sikeston behind Taco Johns last evening
and I saw only 1 White Ibis; an immature bird that flew in at 8:05.

Wally George
Cedar Hill, Mo.