Greetings -- You all do keep this ivory-billed issue interesting, I must say. I say instead of all the hand wringing of blaming the media, wondering who had what motive, which person is eating crow and all the rest, let's just rejoice that the bird still exists. What a great thing!
That said, why not give my two cents, as well. If there is anyone you are looking to "blame" for something, let us go to the real source -- the ornithological world itself, we bird watchers and researchers. First and foremost, our ornithological brethren in their zeal for collecting evidence were still killing and stuffing these birds even knowing that they were rare and disappearing in the early part of the last century. Throw in habitat destruction and the birds seemed to be doomed. Then we have years of scattered observations of these birds, including by noted ornithologists as John Dennis -- all of them, photographic evidence, sightings -- all of them dismissed by the ornithological world. Now a kayaker in Arkansas makes an observation and finally there is a response by our esteemed colleagues and Cornell takes steps to check it out. Through a massive effort it is confirmed and this and other credible organizations announce it to the world. And what is the first danged thing the ornithological world (at least part of it) does? They say, no it can't be so! Where is the irrefutable "physical" evidence -- prove it or it doesn't exist -- the video, based on someone's careful analysis doesn't show a ivory-billed and blah, blah, blah. Now come the tapes and what do you know, everyone jumps back on board.
Good Lord people, why in the world would Cornell, Fish and Wildlife -- National and Arkansas, and other credible people and organizations come out and tell a lie about a bird? Were they trying to create some kind of ornithological conspiracy? Jack up sagging sales? Stir the pot? Looking for a way for the media to be blamed? No, they were reporting a great re-discovery and instead of embracing it, people like the previously named scientists, as well as our own local, supposed "experts" (and you know who you are), without ever going their themselves, without ever spending one scintilla of a moment looking for the birds, take these organizations and the people that were in the swamps searching to task and try, as others did for more than 60 years, to discredit, doubt and dismiss the credibility of the obvious. And then, when the calls are released by Cornell, some of these same people decide to blame the media -- shoot, I am amazed that you all didn't theorize that the calls were computer generated by Cornell from the calls recorded in the thirties -- oh wait, I didn't mean to give someone an idea to discount the recordings - rats --  just the nature of we doubting Thomases, isn't it?
The fact is we have a great opportunity to bring something back from the brink. Will we be successful, who knows, but the chance to do it is a fantastic thing. I for one have and will continue to rejoice at the discovery and to hope for the day when perhaps I and/or my son will have the opportunity to see the Lord God Bird. And as a member of the ornithological world myself, I hope we will learn some lessons from this so that the next re-discovery is embraced, not torn down. And, instead of spending time blaming the media or others, lets take a look inside our own community -- I swear sometimes we are our own worst enemy, and the rest of the world must look at us like we are nuts -- and perhaps we are (but mostly in a good way, I believe).
Have a great birding day everyone. I also want to say so long to the Missouri birding community as I leave for the birding mecca of south Texas -- it has been fun "listening" to all your conversations on this forum, I have made some great friends in the local birding community -- thank you and take care.  Signing off.
Craig Hensley
Liberty, MO