Since a few folks have asked about the bootheel I thought I'd post a note
regarding my wanderings today. Note that at Ten Mile Pond, the back road
to the main pools is closed at this time and the bridge on the south end
of the area has been removed to be rebuilt.

At Ten Mile Pond CA near East Prairie I found the expected birds:
Sandpipers: Least, Solitary, Spotted, Pectoral, Stilt, and possibly
Semipalmated; Lesser yellowlegs, Short-billed dowitcher

Herons/Egrets (large roosting group): Snowy, Great blue, Little blue,
Great, Black-crowned night
Least bittern (very good looks at an openly perched bird)
White Pelicans (maybe 50 - rough estimate)
Semipalmated plover
Killdeer
Black terns (~18 of them)
Wood ducks
Mallards
Least terns
Summer tanager
Purple martins
Tree swallows
Cliff swallows

Otherwise we're seeing the usual slowdown of passerine activity. Many
birds are either done nesting or are winding down. We still have Indigo
buntings, Acadian flycatchers, Yellow-billed cuckoos, and Carolina wrens
nesting on our plots for sure.

In other notes, Black vultures have been seen on at least three occasions
by me or my technicians, once at Ten Mile, and other times at Donaldson
Point CA south of us within the last week or so.

And for those just dying to know, I heard some promising double-raps the
other day. Upon investigation I found what appeared to be a mature male,
Red-necked beerswiller (Cerveza rojo missouriana) working half-heartedly
(half drunkenly?) to either tear down or built a winter roost site
(deerstand)... still no IBWO's in our neck of the woods as far as we
know! ;-)

Good birding
Shane Pruett
From the Boot