Mobirders:  I just got off the phone with David Easterla and Kirby Goslee as they were leaving 4-rivers CA.  They went to the same location that Kristi reported the bird and it was not there.  They drove other areas and still no terns.  Just before leaving they came back to the original area for one more look, still no bird.  There was a nice man in the area that volunteered to take them out in a boat (possibly an air boat).  Dave said the area was very shallow & they got stuck and had to get out and push many times.  They found the royal tern east and around a corner(out of sight) from where Kristi was seeing the bird.  The royal tern was on a mud flat with 2 caspian terns, one in breeding and the other in non-breeding plumage.  They said that Kristi was right in her identification.They observed the terns from about 4:30 to 5:20 from a very close distance.  Kirby got many pictures (full frame)which hopefully will turn out. (his camera is not a digital).  They also saw the royal and a caspian tern in flight, but not at the same time.  Dave thought the tern when it was flying may have been visible from the spot where Kristi orginally observed the birds.  On the way back to shore the boat flushed a king rail which was also a lifer for Kirby.  Because of my problems with asthma and dusty roads I was at home feeling jealous while all of these events were happening.

Later,

Jack Hilsabeck