From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of warbler
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 6:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IBET SOOTY TERN, 2 pm today, Carlyle Lake

Hi Gang:

Maybe a little stale news by now, but I relocated the SOOTY TERN at Carlyle
Lake this afternoon around 2 pm from the South Shore State Park or Dam East
Boat Ramp.  I "accidentally" first located the bird on 60 power zoom while I
was looking at the new OSPREY nest and bird all the way across the lake at
the Jim Hawn Access, when suddenly a dark bird zipped through my view. I
backed away and using binos realized this was the SOOTY!  I watched him for
about 10 minutes in 2 different locations, after losing him behind the trees
on the shoreline at the boat ramp.  The 3rd time I relocated him he was VERY
high, soaring in a cloudbank reminiscent of gulls, TV's or even Buteos.  The
jaegers often soar real high at Carlyle when they're present but this was
even higher than that!  I was impressed!

I did see the SOOTY dive down and catch a small fish so he is eating!  Just
how long this guy will stick is anybody's guess.

Also, an adult LAUGHING GULL was loafing with the 70+ RING-BILLED GULLS that
were sitting in the South Shore Boat Ramp parking lot.

All in all a pretty good day considering I was in Chicago ALL weekend,
missing all the excitement at Carlyle, but able to zip back home to join in
the fun of an exciting "Hurricane Dennis" driven bird!

Good birdings!

Keith McMullen
O'Fallon, IL

Yahoo! Groups Links