I went to Martha LaFitte today to check out reports of a Swinson's Warbler having been heard there. I arrived a little before 9:00 a.m. and played a Swainson's Warbler tape near where the bird was first reported having been heard. I continued on around the trail and encountered Kristi Mayo. She said she had been there since about 8:30 a.m., but had not heard the bird. Kristi then conducted me to various spots where the bird may have been heard, and I played the tape at each of those spots. Finally, I played the tape near the employees' parking lot, from which I understood Craig Hensley had heard the bird.

I go not responses.

If a Swainson's Warbler really has been singing at Martha LaFitte, it is not surprising that it might be singing only sporadically at this time of year. (I think of Swainson's Warbler as a fairly early singer on its traditional breeding grounds -- not as early as Pine Warbler and perhaps not quite as early as Yellow-throated Warbler and Louisiana Waterthrush, but fairly early nevertheless.) Song could well be tapering off by early July. Nevertheless,  if the bird were really territorial in the area of Martha LaFitte where I played the tape today, I would have expected a response.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri