Ben Young, a birder from Salem Oregon, will be traveling through our state soon, coming down I-29 from Omaha, then crossing on I-70. He requests info on the following species: Eurasion Tree Sparrows, Henslow's Sparrows, Greater Prairie-Chickens, Dickcissels, Upland Sandpipers, and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. He would also like to visit some shore bird habitat.

I believe I can help him with Dickcissel, but some of the others are tough close to I-29 or I-70 in my part of the state. Can anyone help with the following questions:

Are there Scissor-tails staked out near the old Western Electric plant in Lee's Summit, or is their nesting season over? (The best I could do for him is the Sprint campus in Overland Park, which is about an hour, round-trip out of his way). Are there any other stakeouts near I-29 or I-70?

Are there Henslow's Sparrows farther east along I-70? How about Tucker Prairie? Bradford Farms? St. Louis area?

I have deleted recent posts with directions to ETS. Could whoever posted them please dig them out of your "Sent" file and send them to Ben Young?

Is there any shorebird habitat at Eagle Bluffs or REDA? Western birders like to see some shorebirds that are pretty common for us, like Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper and Solitary Sandpiper.

(I have given Ben Young Tommie Rogers' e-mail address to query directly re Squaw Creek, etc.)

If you can help, please e-mail Ben Young directly at [log in to unmask] with a copy to me at [log in to unmask] unless you deem your info of general interest to Missouri birders.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri