Good Morning Mobirders:
I have found the cure for a hangover! Just take 2 aspirin and go hunting for an elusive bird with skilled, quality people... This morning will stick with me for a long time and I want to thank Craig, Linda, and Kristi for joining the chase. Sharing this experience with fine folks like you made it all the more special for me.
It took quite the belly-crawl under the Bush Honeysuckle for me to get my first looks at the bird. I observed the Swainson's Warbler foraging on the ground, turning over leaves and probing in the soil with that long, heavy bill. The bird sang infrequently as it foraged. The bird flew off to give Craig some point-blank views and then landed about 20 ft. high in a tree and sang for a while (almost directly overhead!). Talk about birding euphoria!!
These encounters occured between 7am-8am.
But wait, the plot thickens...I will try to go back tomorrow morning to find what was making those curious callnotes (near the singing bird at times).
Good, Sweaty Birding,
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO