Hello MO Birders,

I need some help with a bird I saw last Thursday (July 7th).  I was out at Eagle Bluffs CA and saw a raptor in the trees.  I knew it was an immature bird and was excited hoping that it was a red-shouldered hawk (one of my target birds for the summer).  At the time I concluded that it was a red-tailed hawk instead.  This conclusion was due in part because I saw an adult red-tail sitting a little way off and figured it might be one of the parents and in part because it kept calling over and over (something I thought might be typical of an immature bird).

However, I was just playing around on the Cornell site and listened to the call of the red-shouldered hawk and now think that the bird was indeed a red-shouldered immature.

This may have been an easy sight/sound ID for a more experienced birder but I'm still not sure.  A second look at my Sibley's didn't help much because the two immatures look very similar to me.  Unfortunately I didn't do any field sketches and I'm horrible at estimating sizes.  Does anyone happen to know if an immature red-tail sounds anything like an immature red-shouldered?  In addition, has anyone observed an immature red-shouldered in the EBCA area recently?

Thanks,
Heather Clenin
Columbia, MO