Should we/do we want Eurasian Sparrows spreading like
the House sparrows? I could breed dozens of them if I
let them take over my bluebird houses. They harrass
and drive away native Chickadees and House Wrens. I
know they haven't spread as far as other birds, but
over time, I find it hard to believe they are going to
stick to the MIssissippi River valley and never
spread. What's the difference if they spread rapidly
like house sparrows and starlings or slowly? The
effect is the same I would think long term.

I go to my inlaws up in Iowa and Illinois on the River
front and they are all over. I realize I'm only seeing
a small microcosm with my backyard and my inlaws
farms. But I just read all the stories of how much
problems the starlings and house sparrows cause the
bluebird and purple martin populations and just find
it kind of odd how we seem to promote the Eurasian
sparrow which I see as just as invasive my locality. I
reckon this is an old topic discussed but just thought
I'd ask what others thought since the "where can we
find this bird" emails have come up again.

John Curran
St. Louis, MO

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html