Went back to Katy Trail/Weldon Springs CA, St. Charles co area last night
with Jim to get pictures of the PAINTED BUNTING.
We found the bird by it's song again in the Sunflowers, but farther back in
the field.
It stopped after he found us out and dove into the plants and was silent.
He must have taken off while we there because we re-found it at the far east
end of the Katy Trail parking lot. He was picking grit off the ground in the
corner, then after a while, flew across the parking lot to the field of
corn. He was picking on the corn tassels.
When the male was first discovered on the ground, there was a second bird in
his presence that flew into the bushes right above them and never
reappeared. Wish we could have gotten on THIS bird faster in the hopes of
seeing if it was his mate or not.

A male BLUE GROSBEAK was singing on the electrical wires near the boat ramp.

BTW, the parking lot was deserted, so if one wishes to find a time to go
with little traffic, Friday evenings might be a time to go.

NO WHIPS vocalizing at the Shooting Range (but one was a week ago at the
same spot) but got some really good views of Jupiter and four of it's moons
through the scope.

Wish I was going to Morton co.

Keep cool,
Charlene Malone