Hot, sweaty, buggy, scratched up --- and lovin' it!!!!!!!! What a great rush it is to find a bird outside of its normal range, and not just any bird. I have searched for this bird in southern Missouri, following its song for hours without seeing it. To be the Director at the place where one shows up and to finally have it pop up in front of me, it was fantastic. Many thanks to Doug Willis for first pointing out that the bird I had routinely written off a couple of weeks or so ago as a LOWA was indeed not that -- speaks volumes of his ability at bird song.

This is what birding is all about, getting out with friends and tracking down birds, whether it is something out of its normal range like the Swainson's, or simply marveling at the beauty of an indigo bunting or the gracefulness of a soaring red-tailed hawk.

For those interested in attempting to located the bird, it truly is hanging in some very thick vegetation so sightings are going to be a bear. However, it spent this morning in the woods north of a small prairie track through which a paved trail winds on the Rush Creek Conservation Area. There is an adjacent power line cut through the same area. The key is patience.

Also realize that it has also been heard behind the parking lot at the center as well as around the pond to the north of picnic shelter. However, most of the singing I have heard is from the first area described. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need more information.

In conclusion -- wow! Thanks to Doug, Kristi and Linda for a great morning with good birding (by the way, we had summer tanagers, yellow-throated vireo, Northern parula, indigos, cardinals and other birds singing as well.

R. Craig Hensley
Liberty, MO