Tom Bormann and I birded Mike Brady's hood, the Chubb Trail, in west St. Louis County off Interstate 44. Several Henslow's Sparrows were still vocalizing in the grassy fields. Although these fields contain some wildflowers (mostly non-natives), they are primarly grasses (again, except for the Panicum, I'm not sure if these grasses are native), unlike Shaw Nature Reserve, where the prairies are all native flowers and shrubs. Although Paul and Barb Johnson saw Henslows in mid-April, to date I have not heard of Henslow's Sparrows nesting at SNR this year. We were there last week and did not find them.

A quick trip to the lagoon on Lindell Blvd. in Forest Park did produce one Yellow-crowned Night Heron.

St. Louis Birders: A vist to the old Army Barracks on Hwy 3 in Granite City, IL  produced several Western Kingbirds. Even more interesting, in less than a mile we saw twenty plus American Kestrels (both sexes) on the wires. I have never seen that many kestrels in one concentrated area in the summer.

This area used to be "off limits" to non-military. I'm not sure what it is today, but it seems to have military housing , a golf course, a YMCA, a restaurant, and a large open air warehouse for Chrysler trucks. The security guard allowed us on this old army base and we roamed at will.

Connie Alwood