In the daily phone conversation with my parents this evening I learned
that they saw a bird that they both called a roadrunner!

Their sighting was yesterday afternoon, west of Old Hwy 63, between
Stephens Lake Park and the Plaza One, Two, and Three medical office
buildings north of Boone Hospital in eastern Columbia. They were driving
the road (don't know the name but it is south of Walnut and north of
Broadway) from Old 63 into the parking lots for the medical offices. The
long legged bird was running parallel to the road, heading toward the
medical office buildings.

Dad assures me he hadn't been drinking and that the doctor hadn't yet
given him any pain killing medications. Mother said they didn't know
that this was a rare enough bird this far north that they should be
mentioning it to me so she assures me that they're not pulling my leg.
Both freely admit they're not birders but Dad says the bird was smaller
than a Ring-necked Pheasant, had a cocked-up tail, was a non-descript
earthy gray-brown color and was running through mowed grass/dirt in the
heat of the afternoon ... what else could it be?

I'm a believer and hope to get by that area over the weekend to see what
I can see.

Susan Hazelwood

Columbia, Boone County, MO