Brad Jacobs' post may explain why I got several questions about Brant, Gray Partridge and Cinnamon Teal when I asked MDC's Regulations Committee  last spring to bar collecting of birds on the MBRC Review list. (The goose and partridge are on the Review List because they are accidental in the state; Cinnamon Teal is on it because it is accidental in the eastern part of the state). I could not understand why Committee members cared about having a season on a salt water species of goose, an extirpated exotic species of grouse and a type of duck which practically never shows up. But it now makes sense. Members of the Committee, which is primarily concerned with hunting, fishing and trapping regulations,  were thinking in terms of hunting constituencies. If a regulation bars hunting something, hunters are expected to recognize it before they shoot and therefore must be taught how to distinguish it from similar speciies. White-winged Dove is common enough elsewhere so that the unlikely probability that a Mourning Dove hunter will bag one in Missouri is outweighed by the burden having to teach hunters how to tell them from Mourning Doves.  (Failing to meet that burden put all sorts of egg on the face of Kansas' Division of Wildlife and Parks when Sandhill Crane hunters shot three Whooping Cranes last year).

The same rationale may  explain difficulties in getting Mottled Duck protected in Kansas, although it is essentially endangered in that state.

The important point to remember is that all of these birds are game birds. I am pleased that MDC has come down on the side of the birds in the case of Yellow Rail (which used to have a limit of 15 a day, although I have yet to see one in the state) and King Rail. A Sora hunter could easily mistake a Yellow Rail for a Sora, and I can imagine a Virgina Rail hunter thinking a King Rail was the biggest whopper of a Virginia Rail he'd ever come across!  Yet both are now protected.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri