As far as #3, how about immature Horned Lark?

Steven Ewer
St. Louis

	-----Original Message-----
	From: MO Wild Bird Forum on behalf of Tom Fuller
	Sent: Tue 7/5/2005 10:38 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Help with Katy Trail IDs please

	Hi MOBIRDers,

	Thanks again for the very helpful hints about Katy Trail.

	Sue and I spent the whole of Independence Day morning exploring Katy
Trail,
	and were well rewarded (as noted below). I have three ID questions,
and
	would welcome any and all hints!

	1. We think/hope/assume we saw the Painted Bunting. We got perhaps
four or
	five looks over half an hour in several locations just West of the
slough
	parking lot. The bird we saw had red over most of its head. It had
almost
	no blue. Otherwise its color was identical to the pictures of Painted
	Buntings in the various field guides. I have two pictures of this
bird (not
	great pix, but enough to make the point) here:

<http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tomyfuller/album?.dir=/dabf&.src=ph&.tok=phySU
QDBEDd1rEfp>View
	Katy Trail July 4

<http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tomyfuller/album?.dir=/dabf&.src=ph&.tok=phySU
QDBEDd1rEfp>2005
	Is this the Painted Bunting? I can't imagine what else it could be.

	2.  The second two pix at the above site are a mystery bird. I
watched it
	for a while, but could not quite figure it out. It is overall brown
with a
	mere hint of olive. (The photos may exaggerate the olive slightly.)
It has
	a white eye/bill stripe (like a Chat or vireo, maybe Bell's Vireo),
yellow
	at the upper breast under brown at the throat. There is a noticeable
dark
	spot at the crook of the wing (again a bit like a Bell's Vireo). The
beak
	is like a Vireo, but a bit short. It appeared to be gleaning bugs in
a bare
	tree West of the slough parking lot. We saw BG Gnatcatchers,
Goldfinches,
	Woodpeckers, and the putative PABU in the same tree at different
times.

	3.  As we returned from the boat ramp, we saw a few sparrow-like
birds in
	the gravel road approaching the slough. When first seen through the
spotter
	scope, I thought they might be Sprague's pipits, but remembered that
the
	pipits should all be a few thousand miles north of Missouri feeding
little
	pipits! Also the tails were too dark for pipits. My second guess was
Vesper
	Sparrows, but they too shouldn't be around at this time. The birds
had two
	sharp white wing bars, strongly mottled/streaked back/sides, a
necklace of
	stripes/streaks at the top part of the breast. The overall effect was
	strongly black and white with little brown. Since there were several
of
	these birds in the gravel road I suspect they are common, and
hopefully
	well-known to Katy Trail birders.

	Thanks for hints and helps!

	We saw/heard the following yesterday at Katy Trail:
	Great Blue Heron
	Turkey Vulture
	Carolina Wren
	Lark Sparrow  (great find!)