Jane Allen and I went to check the Western Kingbirds this morning.  They were life birds for Jane.  The IGA was on Sunday hours (closed till 9am), so we had the lot to ourselves and could forcus the scope on the nest.  There are at least two, probably three little fuzzballs.  Mom or Dad came with food, then flew off and the babies having breakfasted promptly fell fast asleep.  On the way, we checked Prouhet Farms for a scissor-tailed without any luck, again.

At St Charles County Hideaway Harbor, we saw a Red-headed Woodpecker and lots of Purple Martins in various dress.  At Riverlands, the two Am White Pelicans and a few DC Cormorants.  At 143, the two giant eaglets were sitting next to each other on a branch, the equivalent of a couple of blocks from the nest tree.

At Horseshoe 111 causeway, there were several Black-crowned Night Herons, Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets.  Pied-billed Grebes were swimming through the now blooming lotus.

Indian Lake Collinsville Road appeared to be totally dry.  We saw only killdeer and a few swallows.

At the Borrow Pits across from the raceway, there was a line of Ring-billed Gulls, a few cormorants and crows, and a soaring Red-tailed Hawk.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

Charlene and Jim Malone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
There are at least one baby (maybe two) WESTERN KINGBIRDS in the nest in
front of the Boeing plant along Hwy 94.

Didn't see diddly at REDA. Water too high or too low.
There are shorebird fluddles along Hwy H just before Mertz/Powers Rd though.
They must have gotten some good rains there. The pools were full of Killdeer
and a few ducks that we could see.

Other birds I forgot to mention on the Weldon Springs post........
- a few GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS hung on and are still singing at the Weldon
Springs CA/ Katy trail area.

Thanks to Josh, we got to see BOTH Screech Owl babies sticking there heads
out as the parents would come one at a time and feed the little beggars Very
cool to watch.
Nice evening to sit outside, drink an adult beverage and watch the Screech
owl show.
The neighbors even held back on the fireworks even. :-)

Good safe weekend,
Charlene Malone
St. L co.

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://mobirds.org *