Weldon Spring CA/Katy Trail , St. Charles co update:

Have gone there multiple times early AM (in my "get aways") and have NOT
seen or heard the Painted bunting, BUT it seems others have. Think I am not
really trying very hard and I have not walked the trail either.
I HAVE heard or seen the BLUE GROSBEAKS(BLGR) but not in the last week or
so.
In the past, I have heard BLGRs from the Katy Trail parking lot where they
are along the slough or on the way to the boat ramp.
Where is the boat ramp?:
Instead of the pulling into the gravel parking lot for Katy Trail, go over
the causeway, take the road as it curves to your left and follow this all
the way to the River - large parking lot just before the levee and then the
boat ramp is just beyond that.
The BLGRs often are on the electrical wires just before this parking lot.

Knowing the songs of each species helps a lot because they sound alike.

Someone told me about some robberies taking place at these Katy Trail
parking lots (including the PABU spot). Guess the guys were apprehended, but
always good idea to make sure your car is locked up and no valuables are in
plain site.

Back to birds.........
BTW, just a few miles down Hwy 94 is Klondike County Park (near-ish to
Augusta)..
I have been having a BLUE GROSBEAK singing along the road. Take the first
right, and a few tenths up this road there has been one singing away the
last week or more.

Good birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.