I'm sure many of you Mobirders have been on needles and pins for weeks
wondering if Edge would ever find the right electrical substation on IL
Hwy. 3 to view the Western Kingbird there.

Jerry and I found it today on our way home from a 10-day round trip from
MO to Baltimore.

Highlights for folks considering going some of the same places:

1.  The Red River Gorge, eastern Kentucky.  Fantastic, beautiful area
(check it out on a google search).  Hooded Warblers and Ovenbirds out
the kazoo.  It's worth dipping down from I-64 to the Bert T. Combs
Mountain Parkway to visit this area.  Good, inexpensive lodging at the
Abner Motel in Stanton.  For food, you can't beat taste, amount, price
at Bruen's Restaurant.  Try a bottle of "Kentucky's Soft Drink," Ale 8 1.

2.  In Baltimore, local birder Keith Costley graciously took me to the
Granite area of the Patasco River SP.  I met my first eyed click beetle
(the ones in MO are very plain compared to this critter).  We had great
birding all day, but a special moment was when a Veery literally danced
around us, flying from tree to tree for several minutes.  I thought it
might be because we were special, but we discovered we were standing
next to a mulberry tree, obviously the veery's very own mulberry tree.

Other sites in the area I birded on my own were Soldiers Delight
Environmental Area and a riverside city park (Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
right there!)

3.  The one day in Delaware was the day it rained.  Still, Henlopen SP
was good birding--even in late June in the rain.

3.  We followed the advice in the metropolitan area's birdfinding guide
and went to Point Lookout SP in extreme southern MD.  We tromped in the
heat and found Brown-headed Nuthatches.  Brown Thrashers there are the
tamest I've ever seen, feeding practically at our feet in the picnic
area.

4.  Jerry and I finished that day at the Sea Breeze Restaurant where
Shrimpy the Kelp Gull hangs out (in the winter).  No Shrimpy, but the
steamed crabs were superb  (especially thanks to the local couple who
gave free lessons in crab disassembly).

5.  Southern Indiana today provided a Mississippi Kite in the Pike
County Forest.

All in all, a very enjoyable trip.

Great birding!

Edge Wade