In a message dated 7/28/2005 1:27:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
I see now it was a poor choice to make a comparison with MacDonalds.
What I was really getting at was the powerful effect of a strong
marketing campaign: the fact that good marketing can sell even poor
quality food to so many  millions is an example of the enormous impact,
but of course this is known to all.

I did not intend any derision towards content (of TWL) in that
comparison whatsoever, if it seemed I did. I just want to clarify.

Calla
You have nothing to apologize for, but let me say to you this.  There is a teacher in the Congo.  Once a week, she brings the schoolkids on a walking journey that lasts hours in order to go to a centrally located "village" that actually has a MacDonalds.  That greasy processed protein that is giving Americans kids problems such as obesity and diabetes is saving the lives of those kids, as the greasy processed protein that MacDonalds serves is the only protein that these kids ever receive.They bring water with them and when finally there, she buys each child two cheeseburgers each, not fries or anything else.  There isn't the money and the important thing is the protein.  And, believe it or not, the hamburger at the MacDonalds she brings these children to is probably far inferior to the what is served in every town in America if that is possible.  Yet, because of this teacher's efforts, the health of these children have improved significantly.  So, next time you're tempted to put down MacDonalds . . . .