Would there be a contemporary, or near contemporary royal situation
to which it might apply? After all, the speaker is placed in a
contemporary, if not
particularly royal context. It is a context consistent with other
deleterious Thames scenes in the poem. Why the secretiveness? Why is he
meditating?

P.