More ado and completely false--I did not confuse anything or use any
terms not totally common and in common ways.  I think this announcement
of my "wrong" understanding rather astonishing as it seems to assume a
single (and idiosyncratic since it is contrary to constant standard
usage) meaning quite personal to Jennifer as somehow uniquely correct.
See prior post.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/24/05 8:06 PM >>>
Part of my point here, though, is that we cannot have a serious
discussion of character on such slippery terms. This post confuses
character, "character", personality, persona, and figure; and in doing
so, it wrongly understands caricature as character and vice-versa, and
fails to distinguish between drama, poetic drama, dramatic monologue,
poetic verse, verse drama, and dramatic poems properly. I argue the
case because these distinctions were crucial to Eliot, in both his
poems and his criticism.

I am reminded of AFTER STRANGE GODS (42-43) and Eliot's criticism
of whom Pound has condemned to hell -- all types rather than
individual. E. suggests that the less these artisitic creations engage
in moral struggle, the less real they are.

Cheers,
Peter