Subject: Re: EP on poetry and prose
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:11:27 +0000
From: Jason Monios <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Burt

The quote (or at least a version of it)  is from "Mr Hueffer and the
Prose
Tradition in Verse" in Poetry magazine, June 1914.

"Coleridge has spoken of 'the miracle that night be wrought simply by
one
man's feeling a thing more clearly or more poignantly than anyone had
felt
it before'. The last century showed us a fair example when Swinburne
awoke
to the fact that poetry was an art, not merely a vehicle for the
propogation
of doctrine. England and Germany are still showing the effects of his
perception. I cannot belittle my belief that Mr Hueffer's realization
that
poetry should be written at least as well as prose will have as wide a
result. He himself will tell you that it is 'all Christina Rossetti',
and
that 'it was not Wordsworth', for Wordsworth was so busied about the
ordinary word that he never found time to think about le mot juste."

Jason Monios