Dear Calla,

You're right that mid-summer tends to be a down time.  I think Painted
Shadow is fascinating, but you will find many readers will attack it
because Seymour-Jones does make mistakes.  She often simply identifies
poetic voices with Eliot himself (and may be right but does not
demonstrate that she is), and assumes things she cannot or does not
prove.

On the other hand, she found masses of new material, and when she cites
it, it is important and illuminating.   I'd be interested in what
especially you found valuable and interesting.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/08/05 10:23 AM >>>
Greetings everyone,

I am new to this list and was sort of hoping for some lively discussion
on TSE and his works but so far I've only received two emails in two
days! Maybe everyone is on vacation.

What got me interested in subscribing was the book, the bio of TSE's
first wife Vivienne, which I am sure many of you have read. I found it
just astonishing! The detailed research, the personal anecdotes and
inside information, albeit gossip, was an impressive bit of work. I
thoroughly enjoyed it in all its intensity. And it inspired me to read
the Waste Land.

Ok, I've said enough for now, and look forward to hearing comments from
others who have read The Painted Shadow.

cheers,
Calla (Ottawa, Canada)

Calla H. Fireman
Assistant to the Director, SRM