There's a quote near the bottom on the web page Peter sent:

"Even The Golden Bough can be read in two ways: as a collection of
entertaining myths, or as a revelation of that vanished mind of which our
mind is a continuation” (Eliot, “The Rite of Spring and The Golden Bough”).

that I've never heard of.  Does anyone here know where it is found (maybe
some book of TSE essays)?  I've always felt that there was some spiritual
connection between TWL and the Stravinsky ballet, and when I read pages
112-113 of Ackroyd's TSE bio (concerning the summer of 1921, when he
actually saw it performed) I knew I was right.  Now I'm curious about this
essay.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Back to TWL Notes proper, it seems like they change the poem into a
dramatic performance, like a one person play, where the narrator is an
intellectual unconnected with his or her emotions (a 'Tiresias' who knows
all these obscure things but cannot feel); very similar to the way the
'narrator character' of the "Poems 1920" collection is defined by the
extreme obscurity of the epigraphs, the only ones that an 'average reader'
would have access to would be the Colossians (from the New Testament) for
"The Hippo" and the Measure For Measure (from Shakespeare, but even that is
a much less performed play than hits like Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Midsummer
Night's Dream, etc) for "Gerontion".

Robert Meyer