The "others" were people like Pound -- Eliot's supporters who wanted him a) doing poetry full time and b) out from the possibility of being in debted to the Haigh-Woods.  The prizes were created in the magazines to give Eliot the money -- 6k (or whatever the figure was -- it's been 6 years since I did this research) was something on the order of twice the average salary in 1922.  So Eliot published what he saw as an incomplete poem at best (I think he never got over the exercising of the "titanic-esque" passages) in order to further "the movement" and to make some money.  The addition of the notes simply allowed the poem to be published unaccompanied in book form.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:02:22 -0400
Subject: Re: TWL Notes

Dear Michael,
    What you've said doesn't agree with what I've read.  Others arranged for Eliot to receive the prizes; he wasn't competing or publishing for the sake of the prize money.  As I suggested to Peter, Rainey will be helpful on this.  Or, do you think he has it wrong.

Marcia

[log in to unmask]);">[log in to unmask] wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">Hey everyone.  I'm sure someone has pointed this out but here goes --

You have to remember that Eliot was publishing TWL [at the _specific_ time it was publised] in order to make money on prizes -- he made something on the order of 6000 dollars in prizes from the Dial and Criterion.  The published, non-magazine version -- the one that includes the notes -- was simply a way to earn a little more revenue and give the poem more distribution than the Dial or Criterion could offer.  He added the notes as filler.