My sons and I visited Cooley lake this morning as we had business in the city.  As we got out to walk down the levee, a LEAST BITTERN flew back and forth across the levee a couple of times right in front of us.  It was the only one we saw but we could hear others.  We were able to get very close to a lone, HUDSONIAN GODWIT.  We wanted to see the Black-bellied plover recently sighted but to no avail.  Other birds observed in the short time we birded were: White-rumped Sandpipers, I think some Semi-palmated Sandpipers, Dunlins, 3 American Coots (one with a broken leg), a pair of Blue-winged teal, a pair of Mallards, 3 Wood ducks flew over, and several Great Blue Herons.  The rain started up again and we took off.

I will be taking one of my sons down to work at the H.Roe Bartle Scout Reservation on Friday.  My wife and I plan afterwards to visit Taberville Prairie and Shell-Osage CA before returning home.  If anyone has visited them lately or is aware of some good species present, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

Terry L.Miller
Kearney HS
Clay Co., MO