Well, there were two at the pond in my subdivision on Monday.

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Jean Leonatti
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: where are the Green Herons

Last evening I was at Eagle Bluffs.  As previously mentioned, things are
winding down there - only one small flock of semi-pal and white-rumped
sandpipers in Pool 4.  At the parking lot at the entrance to the one-way
loop, (where the pit toilet is located) there is a "woven" nest in the
cattails, right on the edge of the parking lot, about mid-way along the
line
of cattails, probably only 18"-24" down from the top of the cattails.
There
did not appear to be anyone in it, but interesting to observe through
binoculars (I didn't get real close to it).  The Marsh Wrens were
bouncing
around and calling from this area, but the book says their nests are
usually
one or two feet off the ground.

Lots of Wood Ducks with ducklings just about everywhere you look.

I am a little concerned about the Green Herons.  By this time, we
usually
have a lot of them at EBCA -- sitting on shorelines, posed on the fallen
logs, calling overhead.  I saw no Green Herons last night, and the only
time
I heard one was about three weeks ago.  Is anyone else noticing a
general
reduction in Green Herons, or am I being a needless worry-wart????
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO