I walked the dikes for a couple of hours at Cooley Lake this morning
(5/28/05).  There was a scattering of shore birds, including a wonderful
breeding plumage Black-bellied Plover, as well as Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted
Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper and Wilson's
Snipe.  Another birder reported a Dunlin.

Least Bitterns were calling, but I was not fortunate enough to see one.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo's were moving about and poised for good looks.

There was a female Hooded Merganser, perhaps paired with a Blue-winged Teal.

Lark Sparrows, Cedar Waxwings, and a Yellow-breasted Chat were among the
usual suspects.

Don Arney
Kansas City