The last Nikon with internal lens was the 4500.  It was discontinued about 3
years ago, I am thinking.  The 990 and 995 were the predecessors and are
still regarded as the standard, although the 4500 was a 4MPixel and the
990/995 were 3.1.  Most feel the earlier cameras focused a bit better,
although the 4500 can certainly take great photos.  Many didn't like the
smaller LCD screen of the 4500, which you have to use when you digiscope.

The problem with all these cameras is that they have old electronics, that
write to the card slow and have generally lousy shutter lag.  These cameras
can be obtained on eBay, I bought a second 990 myself about a year ago.  You
just have to make sure that the thing works correctly, no bad pixels on the
CCD, etc.  The second one I bought has a failed internal battery, and it
looses its settings if I remove the batteries to recharge them before I plug
the camera into an external power pack.

I am currently working with a new Olympus C-7070, a 7.1 MPixel camera.  The
lens moves though, when you zoom, but not as it focuses.  As I do have a
decent workshop and am fairly handy, I have built a mount to accommodate the
moving lens, but it is still a challenge.

There is a digiscoping forum on Yahoo, which I monitor, and I can tell you
that there is no consensus on a current 'best' camera.  We were all hoping
for a product announcement from Nikon at the camera trade show two months
ago, but they had nothing for us.

And there is a variety of mounts available on the market now, from scope
makers and third parties.  Some of them screw onto the camera lens in the
threads for filters, so if you want to use that type of mount you have to
buy a camera that has threads that will work.

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO