Joe Eades and I birded the St. Louis area yesterday.  We ended the day with a total of 118 species.  Here are the highlights:

REDA-Heron Pond (5:45-6:15AM):
As posted by many already, 1-RED-NECKED PHALAROPE
33-Dowitchers, I did not see one Dowitcher present when we returned later in the day.
1-Stilt Sandpiper
1-BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
3-Dunlin
1-Greater Yellowlegs, 3-Lesser Yellowlegs.
Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers.  Could not say I saw any W-R Sandpipers at that time.  Although they were definitely present later in the day.

Little Creve Coeur Marsh:
2-Common Moorhen
1-calling Least Bittern, never observed, but called the whole time we were there.
5-Gadwall, 3 males and 2 females
4-Ruddy Duck, 3 males and 1 female
7-Little Blue Heron
2-American Coots
4-Blue-winged Teal

~200 shorebirds present at the fenced in area of Little Creve Coeur.  Mostly peeps and a few Semipalmated Plovers.

From there we headed to the Katy Trail Access to search for the Painted Bunting.  No luck with the Painted Bunting.  We did hear the 1-ALDER FLYCATCHER, thanks to Charlene Malone, present in front of Frances Howell H.S.  At the Katy Trail Access we had:
~8 Grasshopper Sparrows
2-Savanna Sparrows
1-imm. Red-shouldered Hawk

Along Hwy M, about 1/2 mile from Hwy 79:
2-Lark Sparrows sitting on the power line.

At BK Leach CA-accessed from Hwy M:
Good habitat for shorebirds, but very few birds (less than 50 total), White-rumped, Pectoral, 2-Stilt Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.  The number of Grasshopper Sparrows in the fields are quite impressive!  They seemed to be everywhere.  Also still present was 1-male Gadwall.

BK Leach CA-Bittern Basin we observed:
Again very few shorebirds (less than 25 total), White-rumped, Pectoral and Lesser Yellowlegs.
1-Mississippi Kite

We headed to Two Rivers NWR (IL) from there......Again very few shorebirds, but the habitat looked great at Swan Lake and Pump Station Road in Calhoun Co. IL.  Did have 3-Dunlin along the pump station road.

Ended the day at REDA.
In Ellis Bay:
2-Caspian Terns, sitting out in bay across from Wise Road.

Heron Pond...  The highlight of the evening was observing the Red-Necked Phalarope from about 70 yards.  This was after it was chased off by the Peregrine Falcon and flew to the south end of Heron Pond.  As posted by Charlene, this can only be viewed by driving to the end of Orton Road.  There were ~150 shorebirds in the little pond/wet area on the right side of the bridge including the Phalarope.  Great views!

Probably missing something, but that is the highlights as I remember it now!

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Photo Gallery:  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/index.php?cat=10005

http://mail.yahoo.com