I did the Pershing State Park to Swan Lake NWR and back to Chillicothe today. Great day to be out and about.

Walked the boardwalk at Pershing this morning. Lots of flycatchers - many Acadian and Peewees, and one Yellow-bellied. Heard a couple of Alder in another area farther south. Saw a Mourning Warbler also from the BW. Heard Barred Owl and Red-shouldered Hawk and saw three Pileated Woodpeckers.[ Found these three species at Swan also] Can't help but think of the IBWP when I see one of these now.

Counted 27 Great Egrets at Swan scattered around the refuge. They seem to be around every summer now and may be nesting again with Great Blues at the rookery. Saw about 20 of those. Found a Black-bellied Plover in basic plumage in Sw part of refuge. About the only other shorebird habitat was waaay out in the middle of drawn down Swan Lake pool. I walked /waded about 3/4 mile out and back to see what was there. There were 30 or so Black Terns flying around over a bunch of shorebirds. Few Pectoral and Stilt Sandpipers, lots of peeps incl White-rumped, good number of Dunlin, three more BBPL - one in basic plumage and two in breeding plumage.[still don't like term alternate to describe this.] Also two Hudsonian Godwits. As pretty as the Godwits are right now they were still overshadowed by the Plovers! Saw a few Ducks including one N. Shoveler and a Pintail.

 Stopped by a private wetland near Medicine Creek on North side of Hyw 36 on way home. Saw most of the same species that were at Swan but from my vehicle!  There were around 50 Black Terns, 2 Forester's and then a Least Tern. Always surprised how tiny they are. When it was sitting on the mud, noticed it wasn't much bigger than some White-rumped Sandpipers next to it! Couple of Franklin's Gulls there too and around 35 Canada Geese - adults with young of various sizes. Two more Hudsonian Godwits here, lots of Dunlin and peeps. One Lesser Yellowlegs and a Semi-palm Plover. Will have to keep and eye on this place!

 Later, Steve Kinder, Chillicothe, [log in to unmask]