Thanks to all the great St. Louis area birders at Tower Grove today
that, as requested by the Roman orator, "leant me your ears."

What a day! By one count there were 60 birders present.  And
Warblers...and Vireos and...

As Bonnie Heidy and I were fixin' to have lunch before leaving I spotted
a lazy birder a settin' in his folding chair.  Seems Joe Eades was
workin' on a big day (he had 112 species I believe when we last saw
him).  We traded him the location of the Hooded Warbler and he told us
of the Philadelphia Vireo and the Golden-winged Warbler in the tree
above him.  That Golden-winged was a lifer for Bonnie, so we chased it
through three trees!

Then, of course, when Joe went down by the Hooded Warbler area those
rabbit ears turned up an Orange-crowned Warbler (I don't think one was
reported), then a sighting of the Red-breasted Nuthatch Nick reported,
and then a probable Cerulean.

Bonnie and I headed for Illinois to look for a Western Kingbird, but I'm
too ignorant of the geography--couldn't find the substation.  We fell
into an event of about a dozen cars of "non-birders" lined up on 143 to
look at the eagles in and near the nest, then went to Riverlands and
down to the confluence.

At the point we found a Yellow Warbler, a Northern Waterthrush and a
pair of Orchard Orioles, a Song Sparrow and a half-dozen White-Crowned.

It was so pleasant to see so many birding friends and to meet new ones.
Again, thanks to all who shared the birds.  A May day in Tower Grove
surrounded by birds and birders is something every birder should
experience.  The memories of today will sustain this birder through many
a cold winter's day!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO