In a message dated 5/14/2005 4:40:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> This morning I spent about an hour in the Lake
> Contrary area near St. Joseph. As reported in Larry
> Lade's recent post, the area has been quite 'birdy'
> the past few days.
>
> No rarities, but the lake had 30 or more Black Terns
> as well as 1 lingering White Pelican and 8 Cattle
> Egrets. There were 2 Common Nighthawks hunting insects
> overhead.
> In trees near the lake were 8 species of warblers,
> including 'swarms' of Yellow Warblers, Nashville,
> Tennessee, and Blackpoll. Eastern Kingbirds were
> "everywhere" and the longer grass fields near the
> Missouri River had many Dickcissels and several
> Bobolinks. Several Red-headed Woodpeckers appeared to
> be new arrivals and many Swainson's Thrushes were
> around.

In addition to what Jerry listed we saw the following birds around Lake
Contrary this morning. (This is the area of Buchanan County which I bird for the
NAMC.)

Eared Grebe (2) in breeding plumage
Double-crested Cormorant (3)
Great Egret (1)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (1)
Greater Yellowlegs (1)
Lesser Yellowlegs (33)
Solitary Sandpiper (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (31)
Hudsonian Godwit (2)
Least Sandpiper (40)
White-rumped Sandpiper (3)
Franklin's Gull (1)
Western Kingbird (7)
Eastern Kingbird (107) They truly were "everywhere"!
All five swallows + Purple Martin

In addition to the warblers Jerry mentioned we had:
Orange-crowned, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped and Black-throated Green Warblers,
American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat and Wilson's Warbler. We counted 52
Yellow Warblers!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County
gckinglet AT wmconnect.com