This morning, I went in the back yard to see if the bullfrog had returned
after the trauma of our cleaning out the pond on Sat.  There was a
Swainson's thrush and a YELLOW WARBLER bathing in the pond!  YES!  But I
didn't see my frog.......

I made a big mistake this morning too.  My wren house in the front yard was
quickly inhabited by house sparrows.  I haven't heard any sounds from the
house for days, and since I keep hearing house wrens everywhere, I decided
to clean out the house just in case someone else needed it.  These guys had
created a complete cave inside.  I took down the house and opened the trap
door to clean it out and there were birds in there!  At first I thought they
were dead, but then the 3 little babies flew out the front door.So did I
just force little birdies to fledge?  They don't go back in the house after
they leave it do they?  I'm concerned because the parents weren't around at
the time. I'll have to watch out for them.  They did fine flying, so I guess
that's good.

This is the first time I've had any bird families in my house, so this leads
to my question:  are birds capable of cleaning out old nesting material
themselves if they want the house? If a pair has a second brood, do they use
the same nest with all the old material in it?

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO