This morning I spent about an hour in the Lake
Contrary area near St. Joseph. As reported in Larry
Lade's recent post, the area has been quite 'birdy'
the past few days.

No rarities, but the lake had 30 or more Black Terns
as well as 1 lingering White Pelican and 8 Cattle
Egrets. There were 2 Common Nighthawks hunting insects
overhead.
In trees near the lake were 8 species of warblers,
including 'swarms' of Yellow Warblers, Nashville,
Tennessee, and Blackpoll. Eastern Kingbirds were
"everywhere" and the longer grass fields near the
Missouri River had many Dickcissels and several
Bobolinks. Several Red-headed Woodpeckers appeared to
be new arrivals and many Swainson's Thrushes were
around.

My travels this afternoon took me to Squaw Creek NWR.
I walked several spots in the wooded portion of the
auto trail. Birds were sheltering here from the cool
winds.
There were 13 warbler species and 4 vireo species here
including 2 male Magnolias glowing in the sun.
Actually the whole area was a visual banquet with
several groups of male Rose-breated Grosbeaks along
with Scarlet Tanagers, Red-headed Woodpeckers,
Balitimore Orioles and Indigo Buntings.
Swainson's Thrushes were abundant, along with a few
Veery's.

Nothing rare - but a wonderful day to be out birding.

Jerry Walsh [visiting St. Joseph from Toronto]