Yesterday at Swan Lake NWR Phil and I saw a group of five bird foraging near
the avocet. When I got a decent look at one of them I exclaimed "marbled
godwit!" because I thought it had an upturned bill, and it looked roughly
the same size as the avocet. I was only able to get one photo (not the best,
but I think you can see the upturned bill) of the bird in question, and I
was wondering what other birders thought of it. I ended up siding with Phil
and calling it a long-billed dowitcher, but I still have a few lingering
doubts. Here is a link (bird is in the middle):
http://www.natureexposed.net/lifelist/lbdo.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan Douglas
Kirksville, MO