Mobirders:
After some consultations with members of my beloved "inner circle," I have no choice but to delete King Rail from my annual list to date. Briefly, I had counted King Rail previously by vocalization (heard at night at 4 Rivers CA & Cooley Lake CA). "Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek,..." was how I had described the sound, which sounded like Clapper Rail calls I had previously heard on the upper Texas coast. Stellar birder Joe Eades emailed me about hearing the same sound at LCC Marsh (St. Louis area), then OBSERVING a Virginia Rail making the "Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek, Tek..." vocalization! I thought others on the listserve might be interested in this tidbit of Rail vocalization info...Now, off to Squaw Creek NWR again for that sweet evening light!!
Good, Legitimate Birding:
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO
P.S. Thanks to all who contributed their knowledge to this thread previously.