The trip today began at the Lost Valley Hiking Trail at Weldon Springs in St. Charles Co.  Before the start of the trip I stopped at Little Creve Coeur and refound the Bobolinks reported there yesterday.  They were in the tall grass between the golf range and the impoundment.  There is still plenty of shorebird habitat, but the number and variety of shorebirds is reduced.  All I find in a quick check was Lesser Yellowlegs, and Pectoral and Least Sandpipers.  A check of the north end produced a number of ducks including Ruddy Ducks of both sexes.  The males were quick impressive in full breeding.  I heard the American Bitterns, but there was no sign of the Common Moorhens.
Lost Valley produced the expected breeding species, including excellent looks at Cerulean and Kentucky Warblers and Yellow-breasted Chat.  Acadian Flycatchers were present in large numbers and we heard at least one Least Flycatcher as well.  An active Gnatcatcher nest was another bonus.  Migrants were most Tennessee Warblers, but Jean Cook did spot a Golden-winged Warbler.  The Katy Trail access was were busy, but there were Grasshopper Sparrows in the field to the left of the load and Dickcessels near the boat launch parking lot.  There were also a least a couple of Bobolinks, but they were not cooperative.
The Fallen Oak trail at Busch produced a singing Pine Warbler in addition to the usual suspects which we had already encountered at Lost Valley.  A walk up the Blue Grosbeak trail produced the most colorful Bell's Vireo I have ever seen.  If it had not been singing, I might have been hard put to identify it.
A late visit to TGP added a few birds including the Hooded Warbler which was still singing loudly and continuously all afternoon.  The Gaddy garden produced one of the most beautiful Magnolia Warblers, I have even seen.  There were also four species of thrush, Wood, Swainson's, Gray-cheeked, and a very late Hermit Thrush.
Overall a most successful day.
David Becher
St. Louis