Despite all the rain we have had, the lake at Lewis & Clark SP has not recovered from the drought, and there were hundreds of shorebirds there today. Most of the birds were long-legged types (e.g. lots of yellowlegs, 19 Willets) wading in very shallow water in the middle of the lake.

Unfortunately, young willows have grown up on what was mudflat 2 years ago; it blocks the view of the best shorebird habitat from the north side, and it is a pretty far stretch to look across the lake from the south side to try to ID peeps along the north shoreline. Nevertheless, I counted 10 species there today. Also present were numerous Forster's Terns, 1 Common Tern, several Franklin's Gulls and 1 imm. Bonaparte's Gull.

I went on to Squaw Creek and Bob Brown and saw some, but not all, of the birds reported by Tommie and Larry. I saw at least 20 ibis, but could not make any of them into a glossy. The Peregrine was helpful in periodically putting the shorebirds up. Many of those in Snow Goose Pool are somewhat concealed by vegetation, and I could only find some of them (e.g. the Hudsonian Godwit) in flight.

I did see 15-20 apparent Short-billed Dowitchers in various stages of breeding plumage and one definite Long-billed Dowitcher in full breeding plumage at Mallard Marsh.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri