I'm normally a lurker on MO Birds, but saw the thread on salt for birds.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I noted that birds, mostly sparrows, regularly pecked
at the salt which dripped off the bottom of my car. Of course they may also
have  been finding grit from road sand, but they certainly were going after the
 salt.

Richard Niles