This evening I had the pleasure of joining up with Mike Doyen and Ron
(Rolla) for a little tour of Eagle Bluffs.  Overall, I thought the shorebird
numbers were down, perhaps the south wind is moving some on.  Definitely,
the name for the night was RAILS !   The Virginia Rail at the bathroom
parking lot came so close to the car that Mike said if it took another step,
we were going to pet it!  We heard another one calling from the cattails
while we were watching this one. There were too many Sora throughout the
area to even begin to count.  At one point at Pool 11, we had 10 Sora in one
binocular view.  The Cattle Egret was still near the road extending from the
second one-way loop.  The large flock of Pelicans remain.

We ended the evening at Pool 4.  Shorebirds included:
Wilson's Phalaropes (10+)
LB Dowitcher
Gr and Le Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpipers
Least Sandpipers
Dunlin (4)
Semipalmated Plovers (3) - 2 more in the distribution channel
Willets

We were about to give up for the evening when a flock of 15 Willets dropped
in.  They called to each other almost continuously for about 20 minutes ---
then took off to the west.  A wonderful ending to a delightful evening.

On the Katy Trail toward Wetland Unit #2, new arrivals included Wood Thrush
and Worm-eating Warbler, Eastern Kingbird, and Indigo Buntings.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO