At least one male PRAIRIE WARBLER has returned to Watkins Mill SP (Clay
Co.). At about 1 p.m., this bird was singing near the main road, on the
west side, just past the boat-ramp parking lot. This area is mostly
open with some cedars, small pines, and small oaks, bordered along the
back by a hedgerow with denser, more mature trees. I got good looks at
the bird down near the tree line.

Note: If you try to find this bird, be sure to park in the boat-ramp
parking lot and NOT on the side of the road. The rangers politely
informed me that this is a no-no.

To my recollection, one male Prairie Warbler was first found at Watkins
Mill in 2002 on the east side of the paved bike loop and was on the
same territory in 2003. I briefly heard the bird sing in a slightly
different location early in May 2004, but never did see it and did not
detect the bird throughout that summer (but I didn't cover the park
much last year). This year's bird is in a completely different area of
the park. It will be interesting to see if there are any more in the
area (although the 2002-2003 location was becoming overgrown).

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)