We are way behind the rest of the state with migrants.  Purple Martins left
the area for the past week.  I assume it was because of the unusually cold
weather.  They returned today.

At the refuge today  FOY:
American Redstart
Wood Thrushes
Swainson's Thrush
Gray Catbirds
Yellow-throated Vireo

Other woodland species:
White-crowned sparrows
White-throated sparrows
Swamp sparrows
Harris sparrows
Field sparrows
Pine Siskin
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Baltimore Oriole
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
Orange-crowned Warblers
Kentucky Warblers

American Bitterns and Soras are still calling.
Six Snowy Egrets were present.
A Peregrine was munching on another shorebird this morning.
Because of the lower water levels, much of the shorebird habitat is now far
off the auto tour route making it difficult to see shorebirds well.
Where are the Red-headed Woodpeckers?

Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO