At Cooley Lake CA (Clay Co.) this morning (5/4), there was a limited
number of shorebirds -- about 100 visible, although there could very
well have been more skulking around in the vegetation. The water in the
pool near the viewing platform is just deep enough that the yellowlegs
are the only ones wading through it. With a couple dry days and south
winds, mud flats should be opening up there soon.

Highlights:

Northern Bobwhite - a pair
Sora - 5
Semipalmated Plover - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 50
Least Sandpiper - 5
Baird's Sandpiper - 5
Pectoral Sandpiper - 25
Long-billed Dowitcher - 1
Marsh Wren - 6
Lark Sparrow - 10
Lincoln's Sparrow - 2
Swamp Sparrow - 1
Harris's Sparrow - 1
Dickcissel - 3
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 10
Orchard Oriole - 1

Upon arriving at my office in Kearney at 8 a.m., I heard two
CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS singing from the nearby stand of willows. One of
them cooperated and posed in the top of the willows. Good looking bird
and a great way to start the workday.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)